1. Tell us about your business: www.byokids.com.au is a free online resource for families planning a holiday. I started the company in 2006 because we always travelled with our kids and I wanted to share our knowledge and tips with other parents. The family holiday is often the third biggest investment after the house and car so it’s just too risky to leave it to anyone other than a specialist.
2. Why did you choose PR to promote your business? I felt PR was the most effective way to spread our story and let people know what we do plus we didn’t have money to spend on advertising.
3. When did you start doing your own PR and what do your PR efforts involve? Right from the very start. My PR efforts include sending out articles to editors, press releases and being involved in sponsoring events.
4. Which media story about your business created the biggest response for you and why? We won best new business in Australia in 2007 the releases I sent out about us winning returned us a great deal of publicity both local and national.
5. What ‘must-do’ would be at the top of your list if you were advising others doing their own PR? Build great relationships with journalists and editors and always be willing, ready and able to provide quotes, articles and images if they request them. Also do your research on what they do and make sure what you are pitching is on target.
6. How did you get your media contacts? Some I sourced from the publications themselves others by phoning the outlet and asking for details of their editors and writer, or from a purchased media list.
7. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve received from a journalist? React quickly if a journalist is looking for a story then provide what they need immediately as they work on deadlines too!
8. What is your ultimate PR goal? That BYOkids, your family travel gurus becomes a household name.
9. Complete this sentence “The best thing about doing my own PR is… Getting great results.
10. What’s been the biggest help to you in doing your own PR? Media call out services.
11. Complete this sentence: “At the moment I’m trying to get the media to take notice of …our own BYOkids family apartment we are setting up in Noosa.
12. What works best for you: Traditional media or social media? I am still on the fence with this one, social is faster and easier but does it get better results. Not sure yet, keep you posted.