There are three types of digital media: earned, owned and paid. As a marketer, it is important to understand the difference between these three, and know how to create multi-channel strategies to use all of them. It is also important to know how they can work together to benefit your business.
What is Owned Media?
Owned media refers to your business’s online properties, such as the website, social media channels, apps, blogs, and online stores.
What is Paid Media?
One way of driving traffic to your website is to pay for advertising your business on other channels. Paid media is a vital part of your online marketing strategy, and you can choose to start with a small budget just to see what is working and what is not.
We have listed some of the most effective digital channels:
- Paid Search: With paid search, you only pay when someone clocks your ad. This is a very cost-effective method of online advertising.
- Display Ads: Another cost-effective way of reaching your target audience on relevant websites is through display ads.
- Social Media ads: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube all offer a range of advertising options for businesses.
- Content Syndication: A great way of getting your content out in front of a much larger audience is to place your content on popular websites as “Related Posts” or “More From Around the Web” links.
What is Earned Media?
Have you ever heard of mouth to mouth advertising? Earned media is the online form of that. The most common form of earned media is to take help from influencers. How does this work, you might ask yourself? Influencers market a business’s services or products on their channels and to convince other prospects to look further into the company’s brand.
This is a great way of increasing brand exposure. However, it takes a lot of effort to generate enough interest for the influencer to take notice of it and then agree on promoting it.
Getting Paid and Earned Media to Work Together
The biggest difference between these three channels is that paid media is easier to control and target, whilst earned media has greater spread and potential. The better these three channels integrate, the more success your campaign will be. Using these channels doesn’t even have to be complicated. Just follow the three principles we have listed below:
- Use your owned media to create engaging, customer focused, and problem solving content
- Build trust in your brand to develop a strong network of brand advocates
- Spread the content through targeted paid media
Need help creating or implementing your digital marketing strategy? Digital Squad is a digital marketing agency Singapore which can help you out with paid media on different platforms. Contact us for SEO Singapore, Facebook Marketing Singapore or AdWords Marketing Singapore.